Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Gleaning by the Ocean

I love to walk along the seashore, hunting for shells, smooth stones and discovering the treasure of sea glass. Gleaning by the ocean is soothing. 


Gleaning by the ocean
Photo by Jeanne Doyon

There is something about the ocean that draws me. Peace and power in the same place.  Click to Tweet


Kind of like Jesus

During this season of REST, I spent a couple of days by the shore. It was chilly—not really beach weather but the time away refreshed me.

The book of Ruth held treasure for me as I sat by the water's edge. No matter how many times I read her story, I glean something new. Her story draws me too, because it is filled with precious truths.


I read:


“May the Lord reward your work and your wages be full from the Lord…under whose wings you have come to seek refuge.”  Ruth 2:12

My reward and wages may not look like the world’s because God’s definition of success come from the Kingdom dictionary.

It is HE that rewards my work.

My wages are full from HIM.

How well, He knows me. I am trying to prove myself again – to others – to myself – and maybe even to God.

Forgive me, LORD.

My calendar doesn’t prove my success, nor does my income.

It’s my obedience, reliance and trust in my God who provides. Jehovah-Jireh. And, it is the fruit that remains.

Gleaning by the ocean
Photo by Jeanne Doyon

I feel like Ruth gleaning in the field. Trying to provide. Trying to survive. Then You LORD, like Boaz, say,

“Come here [Draw near], that you may eat of the bread and dip your piece of bread in the vinegar. So [Ruth] sat beside the reapers; and he served her roasted grain, and she ate and was satisfied and had some left.”  Ruth 2:14
Then Ruth shared with Naomi [verse 18].

I’m always amazed at how God speaks to me through His word. Click to tweet

Wherever I am; whatever I am going through, His word is for right then. 


I Heard God say:


  • Draw near to Me.
  • I AM your source.
  • Blessings come from MY hand.
  • I provide plenty so you can eat and be satisfied.
  • I provide plenty so you can share the abundance with others.

Gleaning by the ocean
Photo by Jeanne Doyon

Like Ruth, I glean despite the famine in my soul. Spiritual hunger spurs me to find something to satisfy the empty places.

“Boaz said to Ruth, ‘Listen carefully, my daughter. Do not go to glean in another field…” Ruth 2:8

Lord, show me where to gather…under your protection…under the shadow of your wings. Help me to draw near and receive from your hand.

His word is powerful and it brings peace. Like the ocean, it is peace and power in one place. It speaks to my situation today. And will speak again tomorrow. The Living Word is like that.


Here is a free image to share:

Gleaning by the ocean

Gleaning by the ocean produced fruit and treasure for my weary soul. He fed me from His hand and I am satisfied. I have plenty to share.

Where are you gleaning today? Does it satisfy?


Jeanne

The book of Ruth is just four chapters long but is called one of the great love stories of the Bible. Though she was a foreigner, her lineage goes straight to Jesus. Further proof of God's love for every person, no matter their background or nationality.

For more insight on rest from Holley Gerth, check out her recent post on (in)courage called, A Better Kind of Ambition



All photos by Jeanne Doyon



Pre-order your Keyword study of the book of Ruth:







Read fiction stories about Ruth:





6 comments:

  1. I am captivated and drawn close to God in the mountains. I live in flatter-than-a -flitter west Texas. God has a sense of humor. He's teaching me that the "mountains" are any time I'm in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I LOVE that!! So true. He calls us to the top of the mountain everyday to be in His presence. Thanks, sweet friend! May you be amazed by His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love the book of Ruth: her loyalty and obedience to her mother in law, blessed by God. I also love the ocean. My hubby and spent the last three days on the gulf coast of Florida. There's so much that takes place at the beach that we can relate to in terms of how the Lord works in our life. Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we have a lot in common, Shelley. Thanks for reading and for sharing your thoughts. The gulf coast is beautiful - the beaches are incredible. It is true...I love the parallels and parables I see when I am at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Jeanne. I am amazed at how God speaks to me, too, and there is nothing that thrills me more than when I get a personal word from Him. The ocean is the most healing place of all for me and I sure envy those of you who live near it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining the conversation, Pat. There is something about any body of water that calls me. I understand!! We know He speaks anytime and anywhere...but sometimes we do need to made a decision to get away and be still so we can focus on Him

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.